Stephen E. Murray’s practice is all about protecting and defending ideas – whether on behalf of individual inventors or international businesses. Stephen has spent years drafting and prosecuting patent applications, challenging and defending patents in post-grant proceedings, and litigating infringement suits. Stephen’s technical background enables him to tackle inventions in a diverse range of fields. Stephen also has his own web series as “Dr. I.P.”, who humorously helps people understand important and basic concepts of intellectual property.
Stephen E. Murray’s practice is all about protecting and defending ideas – whether on behalf of individual inventors or international businesses. In practice for over fifteen years, Stephen has prepared and/or prosecuted hundreds of patent applications at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to protect client innovation. Stephen is currently the chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Committee, which oversees the firm’s practices and procedures related to intellectual property procurement.
Stephen also has extensive experience in post-grant proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, having successfully represented both petitioners and patent owners. Stephen has taken the lead on numerous oral hearings, depositions, and drafting of briefings filed before the Board. With this background, Stephen is the Co-Chair of the firm’s Post-Grant Group.
Stephen also has broad litigation experience, having been involved in numerous matters (including several jury trials) before U.S. District Courts, and before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Stephen’s experience includes eliciting trial testimony, oral arguments, conducting and defending witness (including experts) depositions, brief writing, and discovery management.
Stephen also strategically counsels clients on other types of matters, including patent portfolio development, due diligence, licensing matters and clearance opinions. He manages national and international portfolios for numerous clients. Known for his fastidious and thorough preparation on each representation, Stephen seeks to obtain a thorough understanding of his client’s business goals so as to devise IP cutting edge strategies to meet these objectives.
Stephen’s background training in physics allows him to serve a technologically diverse client base. Stephen has particular focuses in the fields of optics (including lenses, lasers, and imagers), solid state physics (including semiconductor device and manufacturing and computer memory), and software (including user interfaces, video games, and jukeboxes), as well as in other electrical and mechanical-oriented fields.
Stephen earned his bachelor’s degree summa cum laude in physics from Temple University. He received the Otto Kurschner Award for Excellence in Science, given to the member of the graduating class concentrating in biology, biochemistry, geology or physics who attains the highest scholastic average. He received his law degree from the Temple University Beasley School of Law.
As part of his service to clients, Stephen has created helpful and humorous videos that provide a basic overview of various aspects of intellectual property law that are useful to individuals with little to no experience in protecting ideas. The videos can be found on YouTube by clicking this link.
- Eastern Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Technology Committee, 2012 — Current
- Board of Directors, 2017 — Current
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member, 2013 — Current
- Transgene and BioInvent International AB v. Replimune Limited, PGR2022-00014
- LG Electronics Inc. v. ImmerVision, Inc. (IPR2020-00179, IPR2020-00195), represented patent owner over patent on panoramic image capture and lens design with localized enhanced resolution – obtained final decisions upholding challenged patent claim
- MacSports, Inc. v. Idea Nuova, Inc. (IPR2018-01006), represented patent owner over design patent on a foldable chair – obtained a decision denying institution of petition for review
- Hamamatsu Corp. v. SiOnyx, LLC (IPR2016-01910), represented petitioner over patent on textured semiconductor imager devices – obtained a final decision invalidating majority of challenged claims
- Hamamatsu Corp. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College (IPR2016-01143), represented petitioner over patent on textured semiconductor material – obtained a final decision invalidating majority of challenged claims
- Atlas Copco Airpower N.V. v. Kaeser Kompressoren GmbH (IPR2015-01421), represented patent owner over patent on adsorption drying apparatus – obtained a final decision upholding validity of key claim
- Hawaiian Telcom, Inc. v. Broadband iTV, Inc. (CBM2014-00189), represented patent owner over patent on video-on-demand – obtained decision denying institution of petition for review
- Unified Patents, Inc. v. Broadband iTV, Inc. (IPR2014-01222) represented patent owner over patent on video-on-demand – obtained decision denying institution of petition for review
- Cartera Commerce, Inc. and VesdiaCorp. v. TuitionFund, LLC (Reexam Nos. 95/001,601; 95/001,604; 95/001,606), represented petitioners over patents on rebate application methods – obtained cancellation of majority of claims
- KGM Gaming LLC v. T.C. Millwork, Inc. and A.C. Coin and Slot Service Co., Inc. (Reexam Nos. 95/000,420; 95/000,421), represented petitioner over patents on slot machine bases – obtained cancellation of all challenged claims
- Metrologic Instruments, Inc. v. Datalogic Scanning, Inc. (Reexam Nos. 95/000,289; 95/000,296), represented petitioner over patents on optical data scanners – obtained cancellation of majority of claims
District Court Cases
- Creative Compounds, LLC v. S.A.N. Nutrition Corp., S.D. Fla., represented defendant –patent infringement over dicreatine maleate compound – settled favorably
- Heraeus Electro-Nite Co. v. Midwest Instrument, E.D. Pa., represented patent owner – patent infringement over molten metal sensor – settled favorably
- Idea Nuova, Inc. v. Tween Brands, Inc., S.D.N.Y., represented patent owner – patent infringement over locking mechanism for foldable chair – settled favorably
- Immervision, Inc. v. CBC Co., Ltd., D. Del., represented patent owner –patent infringement over method for capturing digital panoramic image – settled favorably
- Penn Emblem Company v. World Emblem International, S.D. Fla., represented patent owner –patent infringement over adhesive patch – settled favorably
- Schiller Grounds Care, Inc. v. The Toro Company, E.D. Pa., represented patent owner – patent infringement over mower control system – settled favorably
- ScriptPro, LLC v. Yuyama USA et al., Dis. Kansas, represented defendants – patent infringement over medication dispenser – settled favorably
- T.C. Millwork, Inc. et al. v. KGM Gaming, LLC, E.D. Pa., represented defendants – patent infringement and state law tort claims over slot machine base – settled favorably
- Zenith Products Corp. v. Splash Home, Inc., E.D. Pa., represented patent owner – design patent infringement over shower curtain hooks – settled favorably
Example Patents Obtained for Clients
- Pat. No. 11,342,776 – for battery charger and method
- Pat. No. 10,692,060 – for electronic gift card purchasing method
- Pat. No. 10,648,646 – for a monoreflector operating room light
- Pat. No. 10,598,646 – for a high dew point humidity sensor
- Pat. No. 10,398,074 – for integrated jack stand for an aerator
- Pat. No. 10,353,173 – for miniature wide-angle lens
- Pat. No. 10,151,131 – for dual contact and contactless sensing edge for door or gate
- Pat. No. 10,137,311 – for portable, wearable light therapy glasses
- Pat. No. 10,122,290 – for wide area imaging system
- Pat. No. 10,111,577 – for LED endoscope with improved heat removal
- Pat. No. 10,056,783 – for energy harvesting circuit for use with a logic circuit
- Pat. No. 9,939,993 – for improved jukebox menu navigation
- Pat. No. 9,776,073 – for multiplayer word game
- Pat. No. 9,330,449 – for method of remote wind turbine blade inspection
- Pat. No. 9,239,635 – for interface for use with dome-shaped screens
- Pat. No. 8,922,119 – for improved structure and method of manufacturing for a flash lamp
- Pat. No. 8,371,213 – for a diagnostic system for a compactor/baler
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Patents, 2018 — Present
- Named a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer,” 2021 – 2023, by Thomson Reuters, publishers of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Named a Pennsylvania “Rising Star,” 2013 — 2016, by Thomson Reuters, publishers of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Received 2003 Otto Kurschner Award for Excellence in Science, given to the member of the graduating class concentrating in biology, biochemistry, geology or physics who attains the highest scholastic average.
Stephen spends much of his free time coaching hockey and, when he can, playing hockey himself. Stephen also enjoys fiddling around with his guitars (he writes and performs all his own music for the “Dr. I.P.” web series). Stephen also enjoys watching cartoons with his kids.
- Colorful Trademarks
May 30, 2023
Did you know that a color, by itself, can serve as a trademark for your product or service? Below are…
- Latest Precedential Opinion Should Help Patent Owners Defend Against Unsupported Expert Declarations in PTAB Proceedings
February 13, 2023
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) Director Kathi Vidal last week designated an August 24, 2022 decision from the Patent…
- USPTO DOCX Requirement for Certain Patent Applications Starting April 3, 2023
December 21, 2022
Starting April 3, 2023, the United States Patent & Trademark Office (“USPTO”) will begin assessing a surcharge of $400 (large…
- Until You Can Buy Twitter, Consider Elon Musk’s Stance on Patents with a Grain of Salt
September 22, 2022
SpaceX founder Elon Musk recently gave Jay Leno a tour of his Starbase spaceport. During the tour, Mr. Leno raised…
- 8 Panitch Schwarze Lawyers Named Among 2023 ‘The Best Lawyers in America,’ Erin Dunston Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in Philadelphia for Patent Litigation
August 18, 2022
Pennsylvania and Delaware IP attorneys recognized nationally and in Philadelphia metro area for excellence in patent and trademark law and…