Martin G. Belisario assists clients in nearly all aspects of intellectual property law, including patent and trademark procurement; trade secret protection; development and implementation of IP licensing and monetization strategies; advice and opinions relating to issues of patentability, freedom to operate, and infringement; and challenging, defending, and enforcing IP rights in litigations in court and before the USPTO. Martin’s clients largely operate in the mechanical and light electrical technology areas. Martin tends to think of himself as a business lawyer first, meaning all IP advice is tailored to the business goals of the company.
Martin G. Belisario focuses his practice on intellectual property and technology law, including technology licensing, trademarks, copyrights, counseling and litigation, and representation before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and foreign patent offices. His patent practice focuses primarily on the mechanical arts, including transmissions, HVAC systems, small appliances, medical devices, software, printers, diesel engines, agricultural equipment, metal rolling, and other electro/mechanical devices.
Since 2005, Martin has been selected as a “Leader in the Field” of Intellectual Property by Chambers & Partners USA, and he consistently has been named one of the Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Intellectual Property. Martin was named Best Lawyers 2020 Lawyer of the Year in the practice area of patent law in the Philadelphia area. He is also recognized as a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters. Martin also is a recommended patent prosecution lawyer according to Intellectual Asset Management’s Patent 1000 list, one of only six patent prosecution attorneys recommended in Pennsylvania.
Prior to joining Panitch Schwarze Belisario & Nadel, LLP, Martin was a partner at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP and Panitch Schwarze Jacobs & Nadel, P.C. He began his career as a patent examiner with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
He has argued before the European Patent Office and is a frequent speaker on the subjects of technology and intellectual property.
Martin earned his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Drexel University and his law degree cum laude from Widener University, where he was a member of The Delaware Journal of Corporate Law.
He is an active member of the Justinian Society, an organization that promotes Italian-American heritage in the Philadelphia area.
- World Trade Center of Greater Philadelphia, 2005 — Current, Member
- Board of Directors and Secretary, Current
- Justinian Society of Philadelphia, 2008 — Current, Member
- Board of Directors, 2009 — 2015
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
“I have used Martin Belisario and his firm Panitch Schwarze Belisario & Nadel, LLP for over 30 years. They were instrumental in obtaining patents that became game changing in my industry.”
– Stephen Meyer, Global Fire Sprinkler Corporation
- Selected as a “Leader in the Field” of Intellectual Property for Pennsylvania by Chambers & Partners USA, 2005 — Present
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Intellectual Property, 2007 — Present
- Named a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer,” 2006 — Present, by Thomson Reuters, publishers of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- IAM Patent 1000, 2013 — Present, Recommended Lawyer – Patent Prosecution
Martin enjoys playing ice hockey and fishing. He is a regular fan of Philadelphia sports teams including the Eagles, Phillies and Flyers, including being an Eagles season ticket holder for over 35 years.
- Panitch Schwarze Partners Named Among 2022 IAM Patent 1000
June 7, 2022
Pennsylvania intellectual property lawyers ranked among top IP attorneys nationally PHILADELPHIA (June 2022) – Panitch Schwarze Belisario & Nadel LLP…
- Chambers USA Ranks Panitch Schwarze Among Top IP Attorneys for 2022
June 1, 2022
Philadelphia and Delaware IP lawyers ranked among top intellectual property practitioners in U.S. PHILADELPHIA (June 2022) – Panitch Schwarze Belisario…
- Panitch Schwarze Belisario & Nadel Launches New Website
February 17, 2022
PHILADELPHIA (February 2022) – Panitch Schwarze Belisario & Nadel LLP is thrilled to announce the launch of its new website.…
- Identifying the Correct Inventors is Key to a Valid Patent
December 15, 2021
Under U.S. patent law, whoever “invents” patentable subject matter is entitled to a patent. A patented invention may be the…
- How to Avoid Being Sued for Patent Infringement
December 6, 2021
Patent infringement litigation is expensive. It is typical to see legal fees in the seven-figure range to defend a patent…