Dr. Lars H. Genieser is a registered patent attorney who focuses his patent prosecution practice on pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and chemical, material science, and medical technologies for domestic and foreign clients. He effectively develops and implements worldwide patent protection strategies, prepares patentability and freedom-to-operate opinions, and prepares technology licenses.
Dr. Lars H. Genieser has broad experience in industry and academia that enables him to anticipate and develop solutions to challenges for technology-driven clients. Lars pursues and obtains patents and manages patent portfolios for pharmaceuticals, e.g., oncology drugs and antibiotics, epigenetic systems, antibodies, vaccines, high molecular weight proteomic systems, metallo-oligopeptides, controlled and targeted pharmaceutical release systems, novel polymers, coatings, surfactant systems, polymer-metal hybrid nanoparticles, quantum dots, nanostructured materials, organometallic compounds, catalysts, plasma generation systems and processing of semi-noble metal, electrochemical systems, water purification, cosmetics, stents, surgical instruments, analytical devices, and environmental remediation systems. For example, he developed and manages a complex international patent portfolio for a successful new cancer treatment drug.
Lars is experienced in successfully appealing patent application examinations to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), responding to and prevailing over foreign post-grant patent Oppositions, obtaining Patent Term Extensions in the U.S. and abroad, and preparing patent licenses. Lars’s clients include major research universities and Fortune Global 500 multinational and start-up companies. He brings a practical and business-oriented approach to counseling clients on all stages of the patenting and technology-monetization process.
Lars received his bachelor’s degree summa cum laude in chemical engineering from Princeton University. He then studied at the University of Düsseldorf, Germany under a one-year German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) fellowship. Lars was awarded a Ph.D. by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He conducted postdoctoral research at the Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands as an NSF-NATO Postdoctoral Fellow. Lars earned his J.D. degree from Georgetown University Law Center. He is a member of the Virginia and District of Columbia Bars and is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Lars is fluent in German and reads French and Dutch. He was named a Washington, D.C. “Rising Star” by Thomson Reuters for 2014 to 2016.
The Super Lawyers® list is issued by Thomson Reuters under criteria applied by Super Lawyers®. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
Selected Articles & Presentations
- L.H. Genieser (May 2019) Drafting a Single Patent Application for Success in the US, Japan, China, and India. AIPLA 2019 Spring Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- L.H. Genieser & M.E. Jung (Aug. 2017) From Discovery to Blockbuster: Patent Strategies for Novel Therapeutics. California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI) at Univ. Calif. Los Angeles (UCLA).
- L.H. Genieser (Mar. 2013) Realizing Value Through Patents. Webinar for LARTA Institute.
- L.H. Genieser (Aug. 2012) Veränderung im U.S. Patentrecht Veranlasst Durch das “American Invents Act” von 2011. German language presentation, IPAL, Berlin, Germany.
- L.H. Genieser & C.E. McCann (Sept. 2012) Obtaining, Challenging and Enforcing Pharmaceutical Patents Under the America Invents Act. Pharma. Pat. Analyst 1(4), 415-426.
- Appointed to Advisory Council for the Dept. of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Princeton University, 2020
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Chemical Society
- Sigma Xi Honorary Scientific Research Society
- Handy Tips for U.S. Patent Prosecution
October 19, 2022
Handy Tips for U.S. Patent Prosecution Thursday, November 10, 2022(60 minutes – 1 DE, PA, and VA CLE Credit)Location: OnlineTime: 9am ET…
- Panitch Schwarze Attorney Lars Genieser Participates in Advisory Council of the Princeton University Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering
April 16, 2021
Date: April 19 and 20, 2021 Location: Princeton University Details: Panitch Schwarze Partner Lars H. Genieser, Ph.D. will participate as a member of the…
- Panitch Schwarze Partner Dr. Lars Genieser Presents at JPPCLE 2020 Webinar Series
May 6, 2020
Date & Time: Wednesday May 20, 2020 at 2 p.m. Location: Webinar Details: Panitch Schwarze partner Dr. Lars Genieser will present at the JPPCLE 2020…
- Drafting a Single Patent Application for Success in the U.S., Japan, China, and India
September 25, 2019
Date: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 Time: 12:30 – 1:30 PM, lunch is provided Presenter: Lars H. Genieser, Ph.D., Partner at Panitch Schwarze Belisario &…
- Panitch Schwarze Attorney Presents at AIPLA Spring Meeting
April 26, 2019
Panitch Schwarze partner Dr. Lars Genieser will present at the AIPLA Spring Meeting on May 15, 2019 in Philadelphia as part of…